Wednesday, December 06, 2006


N0, I am not pregnant...and I think my nausea is stress related since it became dramatically worse during a stressful meeting yesterday.

So here's my emotional dilemna. Since Eva was born (actually before then...) my beloved Moses has had a pitiful existence. In the backyard all day and exiled to his dog bed all evening and night. No good hikes. No significant play time. No loving cuddles. Just an occasional pat and an attacking baby. Who shrieks. As you know, I love my Moses, and he's been my baby for six years. So I am feeling guilty. I mentioned this guilt to a co-worker, as part of a conversation about pets in general. She is a very intuitive person and so she called a friend of hers, who loves Brits. And this friend is interested in Mo. I wasn't actively seeking a new home for him. And my mom had mentioned that if we HAD to get rid of him she would take him. So that's who I needed to consult. I asked if she wanted the right of first refusal if these people (who have a farm!) want to take him. So now she's thinking about it and if she decides not to take him, we will see if there's a love match with the new people. (and see, Mom, there's your picture! with Mo!)

All of this is extremely hard for me. I love that dog like family. He IS family. But he's not being treated like the elder statesman he should be regarded as. Do you hold onto a loved one because it makes you feel better? Or do you let him go to a place where he'll have the kind of life he deserves?

I think it might be time to let go.

3 Comments:

Blogger lagiulia said...

Oh, I am so sorry you're going through this. I can't imagine how hard it would be to let go of a dog you love so much. I don't have any words of wisdom, only wishes that you will find some resolve. Hugs to you and your Mo.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Labrdors said...

I can imagine how difficult this decision is. I've had to give up dogs before (though not to a different life...). If your mother takes him he'll still be in the family and you'll see him. Don't know if this will be hard for you or not. If the farm people take him he'll have the best life a dog could have. I've taken in 3 adult dogs with former lives and all have loved their new lives. I got Chances when she was 1 1/2 and you know how much she enjoys life with me. Sometimes you have to let a dog be a dog, and I think maybe that's what you need to do now.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Labrdors said...

Of course, if your mother takes him he'll be loved and cuddled more than a dog could ever expect. Heck, he'll probably even be allowed to watch TV on the couch.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home